learn to kick ass
many years ago we took a self defense class. and to this day the skills we learned stay with us. Prepare and IMPACT, a great organization that holds defense training classes, is having a graduation open house tomorrow night where you can go and see first hand the excellent training they provide:
Oct 26, at 8:15 p.m for about an hour
147 W. 25th St. between 6th and 7th Aves (closer to 7th) on the 8th floor.
the opportunity learn defense techniques, simulate being attacked with a padded mock assailant and learn how to react and defend yourself is an invaluable experience and one that will take you through life with great confidence and empowerment. “With this unique physical training method you can deliver full force, full contact, knock out blows to vulnerable areas on the padded assailant’s body in dynamic, interactive fights.”
Laren from SweetBlogoMine is one of the instructors. and shared this with us…
“A friend brought me to a graduation a number of years ago and I was so moved by the power, strength, and confidence in the room that I knew I wanted to be a part of it — and I’ve stayed long enough to become an instructor to I can share what I’ve learned with others. Not only do I now have concrete physical skills that I might use if I am attacked, but I have learned many other skills that have had an impact on the way I approach conflicts … Hopefully I’ll never have to use the physical ones.”
desperately seeking SuperPages removal
after posting last week about the massive waste Verizon irresponsibly fills our city with each year, last night we spotted one of the Lower East Side public trash cans with a load of SuperPages. looks like people are getting desperate to rid their buildings of Verizon’s clutter.
broken heart found carved in old picnic table in new york park (this week’s PhotoFriday submission)…
Nick CatchDubs is always finding that great shit we don’t see anywhere else, 2 links from this week:
- “Holdin’ down the block – This guy is crazy” (DON’T MISS THIS ONE!)
- “Are you a Sneaker Freak?“
ka-zing… Joey and Kerry are on fire! some hilarious links and lines from today’s Two-Headed Beast Edition Of Tale Of Two Cities:
- “Gimme a Break!: John Stossel recruits help for his mission to fuck every gay man in New York.”
- “Quit Stalking Celebrities: Until you get a better camera phone!”
- “Vegetarianism Suddenly Awful: Thanks for ruining our favorite treat, Bill!”
this post by Lindsay pointed us to a cool article and made us thunk a lot. maybe one day we’ll throw up our own experiences (as a lesbian who used to fuck a bunch of her male friends but for now this kinda nails it… “The girls I know who are most successful with guys are the same girls who have a lot of platonic straight male friends.”
newly launched Screenhead is a fun daily cruise:
- “Because He Says So“
- “The Infinite Cat Project“
Thigh Master’s whackiness of the week
as Witz.org points out, this is a little old, but we hadn’t seen it. everyone knows the Bush campaign is practicing major scare tactics, but check out this edited footage of the bizarre REPETITION TACTICS the Republican party is using to try and brainwash the nation, it’s some INSANE shit. on November 2nd show the GOP we’re not a nation of idiots and vote Bush out!
(shots are from the awesome PSA’s of Baldomero Fernandez)
UPDATE: more on the topic of deception, the Brazilian Muse sent over a link to this very important organization…
In the last presidential election, millions of votes were never counted. Voters in minority communities were disproportionately disenfranchised through illegal disqualification, intimidation, and faulty voting machines. The Election Protection partnership needs you to stand up and defend voting rights on November 2. Find out how you can be a pollmonitor in key states.
such a tough guy when he’s out on the street, but when we get him home he melts like ice cream…
the perfect fall weekend
if you’re looking to experience the fall colors, they’re just hitting peak in the upper Catskills.
here’s a couple wonderful places all within about 10 miles of each other (just 2 hours north of the city) that can be combined for the perfect fall weekend upstate:
- stay in a cabin with a fireplace at the Rip Van Winkle Motor Lodge. Eat “the lumberjack” breakfast at the Logsider Restaurant next door.
- drive into the town of Leeds (1/2 mile down the road) pick up funny souvenirs at the Mohican Trading Post. go down the dirt road directly across from the trading post and visit the massive water falls at the end. eat lunch at Betty’s Too the tiny town diner with great home cooking.
- drive over to Boehm Orchards – pick apples, walk the long rows, enjoy the views. Pick up cider, donuts and apples for the morning.
- have a heavenly dinner of home cooked German food at the wonderful old Bavarian Manor on Roundtop mountain. leave early to enjoy the drive and have a drink in the bar.
- the next day drive over to Olana, tour the house, hike the trials and take in the amazing endless views
- stop at a bunch of great farm stands
- take the Taconic Pky home and enjoy the beautiful Berkshire scenery (it’s like a ride in the country and BAM you’re in the Bronx)
How to Swing part 2
if you know someone in a swing state call them! if you have friends who know people in swing states ask them to make calls.
friends and readers keep emailing us that they’ve swung people over. WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!. getting your parents to see the light, or contacting friends and letting them know how important their state is has been working for many. keep the efforts going and spread the word! every vote is important, if you can convince just one person in one of these states to vote for Kerry you will have made a significant contribution to the future of this country.
the “Big Three”: Ohio, Pennsylvania and Florida. other top states on the line: Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Colorado, Maine, Michigan, Nevada, Oregon, West Virginia and Wisconsin.
The Swing States explained – provides detailed info including the electoral votes at stake, and the margin of victory in 2000 and maps.
General Election Cattle Call, October 19 “Kerry has taken the lead according to every single electoral vote predictor that is updated daily” (from the Swing State Project)
SUSA polls FL, PA, and NC from Daily Kos